BAP Council Member Details

Council Member

Professor Carmine Pariante

Carmine Pariante

Institute of Psychiatry
Council Member until 2018

I can honestly say that my academic career would have not been the same without the support of the BAP – both as an Association and as an ensemble of colleagues who would look after each other – and I believe in giving back, as a Council Member. Indeed I was already a Council Member in the past, and I have continued to participate to BAP teaching activities over the years. Now I want to re-enter the Council so that I can help pushing forward the initiatives required to support our field – especially at this time of financial uncertainties, with both public and private funding shrinking.

I have always been interested in the brain, both as a medical student and as psychiatry trainee. Before coming to London, I spent about three years in the Unites States (in Atlanta), where I learned how to work in a psychopharmacology laboratory. I then started my academic career at the Institute of Psychiatry in 1999, as a Research Fellow and Lecturer, and I have been at the Institute since.

I am a loyal and enthusiastic member of the BAP. I first attended the BAP conference when I was working with the late Rob Kerwin, who has been one of the most important figures in the Association, and who so prematurely left us a few years ago. I have attended the conference every year, except the year that I got married, because the dates clashed! Many of you will have seen me every year on the dance floor, at the Tuesday night disco after the Gala Dinner. I have been honoured to receive both the junior (in 2002) and the senior (in 2009) psychopharmacology award from the Association, and over the years I have built friendships with many fellow scientists who, like me, are part of the BAP family. As a Council Member, I will make the best use of my skills to advance psychopharmacology at all levels: research, education, and public engagement. Through this, I hope I will also be able to help the wider community of patients that are today waiting for the new medications.

Declaration of Interests

  1. Have you, in the past three years, had patents or inventions from which you may derive personal benefit in the area of psychopharmacology?
  2. No
  3. Have you, in the past three years, had ownership or part ownership of a company with interests in the area of psychopharmacology? (This would include holding the shares of major companies in one's own name, or those of dependent family members.)
  4. No
  5. Have you, in the past three years, accepted a personal retainer from any company with an interest in psychopharmacology?
  6. No
  7. Have you, in the past three years, acted as a consultant to any company with an interest in psychopharmacology?
  8. Consultant to Eleusis Benefit Corporation and to Johnson & Johnson. The income was paid into a University account and used to support research
  9. Have you, in the past three years, acted as an expert witness, either friendly or hostile, to any company with an interest in psychopharmacology?
  10. No
  11. Have you, in the past three years, held a research grant from any company with an interest in psychopharmacology?
  12. - Research funding from Johnson & Johnson for research on depression and inflammation
    - Research funding from Wellcome/MRC Consortia that include GSK, Johnson & Johnson, Lundbeck and Pfizer
  13. Have you, in the past three years, had membership of the speakers' bureau for any company?
  14. One talk, by Lundbeck
  15. Have you, in the past three years, accepted paid speaking engagements in industry supported symposia?
  16. No
  17. Have you, in the past three years, accepted travel or hospitality NOT related to a speaking engagement?
  18. No
  19. Have you, in the past three years, recruited patients for industry-sponsored studies?
  20. No
  21. If there is anything else you feel it necessary to disclose, please provide details.
  22. Around 10% of the funding supporting Professor Pariante’s research comes from pharmaceutical companies interested in the development of new antidepressants; the remaining 90% comes from the UK Medical Research Council, the NHS, the European Commission and research charities

Form completed on 27th April 2018